• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Rss
Epigram - Bristol University's Independent Student Newspaper

Student favourite Magic Roll set to close

01 May 2012 Written by 

Having offered Bristol a healthy alternative takeaway for the past seven years, beloved student favourite Magic Roll, which has branches on the Clifton Triangle and Redcliff Street, will soon be closing.

The date of closure is currently expected to be April 28th, leaving customers little time to make their final visit to the takeaway. Magic Roll has marked itself as different from junk-food takeaways by offering its customers Mediterranean- inspired wraps made with locally produced, high quality food.

One student, however, commented on the high price of its food: ‘Few people are willing to spend over a fiver on a wrap’, saying that although it’s ‘nice to create what you’re paying for’, with cheap chippies just around the corner, Magic Roll was often second choice.

The reason for its closure is not financial, however, with owner John Keegan stating the sale was due to ‘a personal business opportunity’. It is uncertain as to whether any of the Magic Roll branches will continue under new ownership.

Employee Shanti Maass, 22, said: ‘The owner has had the business for a long time now so the decision to close down is understandable but we aren’t very happy about it.

‘The good quality local produce we use in the rolls means we don’t make very much money even though it is quite expensive.’

‘I am not confident Magic Roll will continue here in Bristol, but the store’s manager is apparently planning to buy the name so I hope Magic Roll can live on somewhere in the world in the future.’

Co-worker Charlotte Eskell, a student at Cotham School sixth form, said: ‘Regulars have been really upset. Sales have been fine and the customers want to keep it as it is but it is not up to us.’

Bristol student Jennifer McCain expressed her sadness at the shop’s closure, and what it meant to Bristol students. She said ‘it has become a firm favourite with students both in the daytime and in the evenings, and it will be hard to see another business replace such a long-standing Bristol tradition’

Magic Roll fans have expressed their sadness at the shop’s closure through the shop’s Facebook page, which currently has 1,117 ‘likes’.

Customers posted comments such as: ‘Bristol won’t be the same without you’ and ‘Not sure what to say. But I’ve changed my profile picture in honour of this time of national grieving.’

Needless to say, Magic Roll will be missed by its many loyal customers. The closure of the popular takeaway comes after seven years of operation on Clifton Triangle.

@EpigramNews

Epigram NewsEpigramNewsEpigram News

At the Union Awards -- hoping Epigram takes the Media prize!

7 days, 8 hours ago ReplyRetweetFavorite

Mailing List

Want to write for Epigram?

Epigram

University of Bristol Students' Union (UBU)
    Queens Road
    Bristol
    BS8 1LN