• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Rss
Epigram - Bristol University's Independent Student Newspaper

An Apology

21 Feb 2012 Written by 

Last night we began to receive allegations, both as formal complaints via email and through Twitter, that an article published in Epigram #247 entitled ‘A bluffer's guide to Sunday league football clichés’ was plagiarised. Unfortunately, I was out of contact when this came to light.

I met with my deputy editors and with Tom, and have asked him to step down from his position as Sport Editor with immediate effect, to which he agreed. I have made it clear to Tom, and wish to make it clear to others, that Epigram does not and will not condone or tolerate plagiarism in any form, and that any future instances will be dealt with in an identical manner. What has happened reflects poorly on the efforts of nearly 50 staff and many more writers who work hard to produce a fortnightly publication alongside their studies.

I would like to apologise personally to Adam Hurrey and everyone at the Football Clichés blog that their excellent work has been used in such a fashion, and for my own culpability in allowing this to go to press. An explanation of what happened and an apology will be issued in our next print edition on the same page as the original article, and full credit given to the author.

Tom Flynn, Editor

Mailing List

Want to write for Epigram?

Epigram

University of Bristol Students' Union (UBU)
    Queens Road
    Bristol
    BS8 1LN